New Year, Just Me

In the mountains, on Meall Buidhe with a dog & people I love
New year, new me, right? Well, probably not. Resolutions don't usually stick and people don't usually change that much. In the past I've ended up making resolutions based on some idealised self, a woman with endless time and motivation (sample resolutions: stop eating all added sugar, exercise for an hour every day, learn a new language at evening classes). I had written a whole post on how to avoid this classic pitfall, carefully defining my goals using 'SMART', breaking them down. Then I deleted it. 

Instead of setting resolutions based on the things I don't want to do, and won't end up committing to, I just want to enjoy my life. Don't get me wrong, I am not insulting those who make resolutions. If they help you, you go for it. But I'm not in that place, and it's important to realise what place you are in. Even though my studies ended recently I'm still frequently very tired. I still feel stressed. I still feel I need to regain some sanity that I lost somewhere along the line. Even though I'm in a great situation (great relationship, family, friends, job), I still feel I need to re-find myself in a way (do not worry, I sadly won't be jetting off to Bali to do so). I miss consistent running. I miss the hills. I miss doing exercise for the hell of it. 

In general, I want to regain some consistency. But I don't want to feel shitty about it, I want to feel joy about it. I do not want to set specific fairly arbitrary goals, only to perceive myself as failing. So I am going to do the things I enjoy this year and take care of myself and those I love - I'm going to get out on the hills, do some climbing, do some Muay Thai, some Kettlebells, bits of yoga, run the Berlin Marathon because it's my dream race, nap on the sofa, eat lots of healthy food and some unhealthy soul food, and spend time with the best people. I don't see how I can fail with that resolution.


Post written by Scallywag and published on Scallywag Sprints on 08/01/2016

2 Comments:

  1. 100% agree. I have no real goals for this year. Just to be happy and do things I love. Simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great resolution, you definitely cannot fail.

    I'm aiming to run a bit more again this year, just 30km week minimum for consistency. Last year I was really random, some weeks I ran 30km, some weeks I ran 5km, most of the time Ir an around 20. Now I feel like I want to run a bit more again and not be so random. First two weeks of January have gone well! 50 weeks to go :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Strava